I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cindy's Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


My friend Cindy gave me this recipe back in our college days. That was way back when we were only just beginning to hear words like "vegan." I've adapted the recipe by cutting it in half and replacing the brown sugar with a smaller quantity of brown-rice syrup, but it can stand to be even less sweet than it is here. Reducing the syrup by half again wouldn't noticeably affect the consistency or texture of the cookie, so you can adjust it to suit your sweet tooth however you want. And to make it more interesting, try using barley-malt-sweetened chocolate chips (not vegan) or vegan carob chips.

Cindy's Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

370-degree F. oven
10 minutes
ungreased cookie sheets

Step 1, mix together:
1/4 cup oil (organic peanut oil)
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or less)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Step 2, add and mix:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water

Step 3, add and mix:
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (or other type of nut or peanuts)
1 cup raisins or mixture of raisins, barley-malt chocolate chips, and/or carob chips
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
3 cups rolled oats (regular or extra-thick)

Mix everything together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or use your hands. Then cover the bowl and allow to rest for at least ten minutes; longer is better. Shape into balls and slightly flatten on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated 370-degree oven. Enjoy!


Here is the list of my favorite cookie recipes I made in the past couple of weeks:

Related Blog Articles:
The Benefits Of Whole Foods
No More Sugar
What Counts As Sugar?
Trying Out New Cookie Recipes