I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Black Bean Cherry Brownies #1



I created this brownie recipe back in March of 1992 for St. Patrick's Day based on another recipe I had for a flourless cake. This time, I wanted to make a sugarless version of the brownie by omitting the cup of Sucanat completely. For a little sweetness, I used dried cherries, cut up into tiny pieces. Because there is no sugar getting in the way of your taste buds, or flour for that matter, you'll be able to really taste the chocolate.

Black Bean Cherry Brownies #1

325 degrees F. oven
20 to 30 minutes
oiled 8x8 glass baking dish

Step 1, melt at a low temperature:
2 squares (ounces) unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup olive oil

Step 2, add and mix thoroughly:
1/2 cup black beans (including the liquid)
, cooked and pureed
2 eggs

Step 3, fold in:
1 cup or 6 ounces dried cherries, cut in tiny pieces
3/4 cup walnuts, broken into little pieces and toasted

Place the mixture in an oiled glass 8x8-inch pan or round pie plate, and bake for 20-30 minutes in a preheated 325-degree oven, until a toothpick test comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.

And that's all there is to it! You may have to experiment a little with the amount of bean liquid in the mixture and the amount of time you bake it. If it comes out too dry, try drizzling a little syrup mixed with boiling water over the top while the brownies are still warm. Also, it ages well in the freezer and the flavors just get better. There's all kinds of syrup you could try — maple, agave, brown rice, or homemade fruit syrup! And since there is no other sweetener inside the brownie besides the dried cherries, the syrup won't overpower it with too much sweetness.

Here is the list of my favorite cookie recipes I made in the past couple of weeks:

Related Blog Articles:
The Benefits Of Whole Foods
No More Sugar
What Counts As Sugar?
Trying Out New Cookie Recipes