I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Weight Loss Tips From Julia Ferre

In her new book, Food and Intuition 101, Julia Ferre gives a list of twelve tips for losing weight:

1. Plan meals. Be proactive, not reactive or compulsive.


2. Eat breakfast. Eat regularly throughout the day. Don’t let your body think it’s starving.


3. Satisfy sweet cravings with healthy carbs, such as sweet potatoes, winter squash, and grains chewed well.


4. Sit during the entire meal, at a table, without a television.


5. Drink water 15 minutes prior to the meal, to moisturize intestines and prevent overeating.


6. Take a bite, put the fork down, chew it, and observe how you much you like it. Pick up the fork and repeat.


7. Serve yourself a complete meal on an attractive plate, like in a restaurant.


8. Have a healthy dessert like fresh fruit, dried fruit, and nuts, or homemade goods.


9. Take a walk for 5 to 10 minutes after eating to stimulate digestion. Read the section on “Cravings.”


10. If you can’t take a walk, then get up and wash the dishes to stimulate digestion.


11. Enjoy your company. Feast on the interaction.


12. Say a blessing before eating, and smile if you notice your body is ready and starting to salivate.


This all sounds like really good advice to me! Therefore, I shall be incorporating it into my weight loss diet plan.


Incidentally, to my surprise, I found that her tips for gaining weight (page 200 of Food and Intuition 101) provided useful information for me too! For example, I could add to my weight loss plan:


• Eat larger meals less often during the day to decrease number of calories.


• Eat dry and hard foods such as salads and crackers because they’re harder to digest and they encourage weight loss.


• Probiotics before meals strengthen the digestive track, and digestive enzymes after meals can enhance assimilation.


In summary, I'm finding that this book is very useful as an exercise in strengthening my intuition and relationship with food. GOOD BOOK!  

Related blog articles:
Designing My Own Weight-Loss Diet
Weight Loss Tips From George Ohsawa
Weight Loss Tips From Herman Aihara