I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Monday, July 2, 2012

Lunch At Little Shanghai's

I love saying that. Lunch at Little Shanghai's. This is my all-time most favorite restaurant in Santa Cruz for lunch! I can always count on their delicious brown rice cooked fresh daily. My husband and I try to get there right at 11:30 a.m. when they open because that's when the food is the very best.

We stand in line in front of the cafeteria counter, watching as they place the steaming hot food into labeled warming pans before us. Sometimes I go first. 

"Brown rice, please. For here. One item." I watch as they serve several generous scoops of brown rice onto the plate and then I point to the "Tofu Broccoli" item. Several more generous scoops of soft tofu and broccoli cooked in ginger garlic black bean sauce goes on top of the rice. 

The plate goes onto a serving tray and is moved down the line to receive pickled cabbage if I want it, my choice of soup, and a fortune cookie. Then it's Michael's turn. He usually gets two items, and occasionally maybe three. He has his favorites too, like me. 

The thing is, all of their food is good. (I wish I knew their recipes!) They have menus that you can download from their web site, such as this pdf of "Tofu and Vegetables (All Vegan)." And their prices are more than reasonable, I think, especially for what you get.

Little Shanghai's also serves dinner, restaurant-style. The overhead lights are dimmed, candles are lit, and food is brought to you that you've ordered from a menu with a greater selection of entrees. 

The menu choices are diverse, different, and interesting. The food is simple, life-giving, and unpretentious. I highly recommend it.

Cheers!

Related Blog Articles:
Whole Grains In Restaurants
Lunch At P. F. Chang's
Whole Grains For Centering
My Favorite Local Restaurants Today