I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Getting Started With Macrobiotics

Many years ago, my first introduction to Macrobiotics was the book, Zen Macrobiotics, by George Ohsawa. I found the book in my local grocery store (New Leaf Market) and because I had been hearing the word “Macrobiotics” a lot at the time, I decided to buy it. I instantly fell in love with the whole concept as I read the book. George Ohsawa was appealing to my intellect, common sense, and desire for independence.

That book was published in 1960. Since then, macrobiotic teachers have improved an introductory course in Beginning Macrobiotics. On the George Ohsawa Macrobiotic Foundation web site, there are eight recommended books to get you started with learning about Macrobiotics as well as information on where you can get hands-on experience, such as at the annual French Meadows Summer Camp that happens in July.

Eight books to get you started with Macrobiotics:

1. Essential Guide to Macrobiotics, by Carl Ferre
2. Macrobiotics: An Invitation to Health and Happiness, by George Ohsawa
3. Basic Macrobiotic Cooking, Procedures of Grain and Vegetable Cookery, by Julia Ferre
4. French Meadows Cookbook, by Julia Ferre
5. Essential Ohsawa, Understanding the Basics of Macrobiotics, From Food to Health, Happiness to Freedom, by George Ohsawa
6. Acid and Alkaline, by Herman Aihara
7. Health and Macrobiotics, #7 Diet, An Accompaniment to Ohsawa’s Zen Macrobiotics, by Francoise Riviere
8. Acid Alkaline Companion, An Accompaniment to Herman Aihara’s Acid and Alkaline, by Carl Ferre.

Related Blog Articles:
The Yin And Yang Of Acid And Alkaline
What Is The Macrobiotic Centering Diet?
Diet #7 By George Ohsawa