I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Difference That Eating Healthy Makes



I've been on trips where I ate and drank with reckless abandon, anything that struck my fancy or was currently available at the time. This was before I knew anything about macrobiotics or the Unique Principles of Yin and Yang. Back then, I never made the connection between what I was eating and how I was feeling on the trip, but now it's so obvious!

Then, it was almost always guaranteed that I would get sick with some kind of flu bug or virus either during or after the trip, or maybe I'd get a bladder infection, or constipation, or "the runs." Other problems that occurred I would just chalk-up to being female and resign myself to their inevitability.

Well now, after this most recent trip, I know what a difference it truly makes to eat healthy. I had zero ailments, zero problems, high energy, and I was able to thoroughly enjoy the experience of everything around me! I made the following self-imposed rules and now I'll surely use them again for next time!
  • Carry miso, gomasio, and kukicha teabags with me. Have a cup of miso broth once a day whenever possible.
  • Do not eat anything with sugar in it.
  • Do not drink any alcohol.
  • Avoid coffee; especially don't drink it more than twice (two days) in a row.
  • Never indulge in the same thing more than twice in a row.
  • Chew every mouthful of food 100 to 200 times. (This is really important.)

I think that because I tried to eat healthy all the time that I was traveling, I was able to draw on my powers of intuition, make wiser decisions, and find more healthy food along the way. If a little voice in my head said "Don't eat/drink that!" or "Eat/drink that; it'll be good for you!" I not only was able to hear it, but I acted on the advice as well.

At first I thought that I'd feel deprived, unhappy, or unable to enjoy myself if I didn't indulge in the food and drink that I considered as pleasures, and then I was surprised that I actually enjoyed myself more than I would have, had I indulged. So there you have it. Every day is a new experience, something new to learn, something new to appreciate. I am just so grateful for the tools I have now that help me keep in balance during my travels through life!

Related blog articles:
Adapting To The Road
Eating On The Road
No More Sugar (Saturday, January 1, 2011)
The Importance Of Chewing
Adapting Our Diets To The Situation
Lessons From A Coyote