I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oatmeal On A Cold, Rainy Morning



Good morning! It's raining and cold outside, warm and cozy inside. My macrobiotic diet is going well. I'm switching between Diet #7 100% whole grains and Diet #6 90% whole grains, 10% vegetable nitsuke from meal to meal. This morning I had hot oatmeal cooked from scratch.

Oatmeal from Scratch
• First I lightly toasted 1/2 cup of rolled oats on a pan in my toaster oven.
• Then I cooked it in 1 1/2 cups of water with a teaspoon of organic seaweed gomasio (Eden Foods) on a low boil in a pot on the stove.
• When most of the water had boiled away and it started to stick to the bottom of the pot, I covered it with a lid, turned off the heat, and let it sit for awhile (about ten minutes).

Chewing each biteful more than 100 times was easy. It's almost like a form of meditation, calming me down, getting my brain to stop racing away with one thought after another. As I chewed, I looked around me and saw how complex and beautiful the world is, and did not feel overwhelmed by it. And as I chewed more, I noticed how the flavor of the oatmeal changed in my mouth, intensifying and becoming more delicious. It blows me away!