I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day Eight Of My Whole Grain Fast



So far, my whole-grain fast is going pretty well. I've been eating basically short or medium grain brown rice and quinoa. I'll eat it either fresh from the cooking pot or warmed up in my trusty Revere Ware double boiler/steamer pot or small frying pan with lid and a little sesame oil (1/2 to 1 tsp.). I've been seasoning my bowl of grains with a little ume plum vinegar or ground gomasio and sometimes a little maple syrup.

The staying-power of my meals has been stretching out to longer periods of time before I get hungry again. That's so nice! And for last night's dinner I was satisfied with only a half of a bowl of grains. I'
ve learned that I should always try to eat no later than 3 hours before going to bed because my stomach requires gravity (being in an upright position) in order to pass the food down to my intestines. Evidently, there are no muscles inside my stomach that can push the food out. Knowing this makes it clear to me why I would get indigestion/gas pains after going to bed with a full stomach.

I'm planning on continuing with Diet #7 of 100% whole grains for several more days, maybe even a week more, and then I'll probably switch to Diet #6, 90% whole grains and 10% vegetable nitsuke. I'll probably start with carrots because they're more yang than most of the other veggies and they sound good to me right now. Of course, I don't know how they'll sound to me a week from now, so we'll see how it goes!