I'm on the road, in search of food — food for my body, food for my mind, food for my soul. I dedicate this blog to peanut butter, my best friend. Food is what we're all about. Cheers!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Parsnip, The Exotic Root Vegetable



Parsnips help you get centered. Parsnips, which grow vertically under the ground, are another root vegetable from the most yang category of vegetables. In addition to a regular basic macrobiotic diet, they are included in the restricted list of vegetables for a macrobiotic centering diet. And they are delicious.

You can cook them like you would a carrot, or whip them up into a light and fluffy puree. And then there's my favorite, the parsnip chip. Julia Ferre has a good recipe for cooking baked parsnip chips in her cookbook, Basic Macrobiotic Cooking.

The first time I ever tasted a parsnip chip was in a bag of TERRA's Original Exotic Vegetable Chips from the grocery store. They taste lighter and more delicate than a potato chip, I think.

I like to cut parsnips up real small and cook them nitsuke style. And it's nice to know that I won't ever suffer from deprivation of tasty, delicious foods even when I'm on a centering diet!

Notes:
TERRA's Exotic Vegetable Chips has an interesting web site, especially the page about how the company got started ("Our History").
• You can get Basic Macrobiotic Cooking by Julia Ferre from the George Ohsawa Macrobiotic Foundation's web site.

Related articles:
What Is The Macrobiotic Centering Diet?
Vegetables For Centering
My Notes Of The Macrobiotic Centering Diet